The BOOK GIVEAWAY is now closed. The winner has been notified. Congratulations!
PROJECT: Make a moving puppy puppet with fasteners!
How do we learn to savor the present, untroubled by the past, unworried about the future? In this delightful, meditative book, author Maria Gianferrari shows it’s as simple as being like a dog: “Stretch while you rise. Wag your body. Greet the day and everyone you love.” Being A Dog is a perfect read-aloud for littles, who will love mirroring the motions of the sweet pup illustrated by Pete Oswald.
To celebrate this book publication, I wanted to create something full of movement: something that will wag, romp, nap, munch, sniff and stretch just like our canine hero. Why not a moving pup-pet with fasteners that allow for pouncing paws and a thumping tail?
- homemadecity coloring page (just click the download button above)
- crayons, markers, or colored pencils
- hole puncher (preferable smaller size)
- popsicle stick
- masking tape
- optional: googly eyes
- Print out a copy of the homemadecity coloring page linked above. If possible, print on cardstock.
- Color in your puppy puppet! I sponge-painted my puppet for a dappled fur look, but crayons, markers, or colored pencils work just as well.
- Cut out the pieces and punch holes at the indicated spots (marked by stars). This might be a step for grown-ups or older children.
- Add googly eyes and bedazzle however you see fit!
- Attach tail, legs, and jaw using paper fasteners. For the legs, attach one leg in front of the body, and one behind.
- Attach popsicle stick to the back using masking tape or other kind of tape.
Once you’ve made one doggo, make it a friend and put on a puppet show!
To learn more about author Maria Gianferrari, go to mariagianferrari.com; you can find illustrator Pete Oswald at peteoswald.com.
5 thoughts on “BOOK GIVEAWAY & Craft: Being A Dog: A Tail of Mindfulness”
I will absolutely do with my K students! They always appreciate making something they can play with!
This is fantastic! So cute!!
Every kid needs a little puppet fur friend on these beautiful spring days.
Hooray for dogs and this adorable pup-pet! Thanks so much for celebrating Being a Dog’s book birthday with me today, Margaret!
This craft is so cute and creative. I can’t wait to read this book by one of my favorite authors.